Thursday, December 1, 2011

Custom clothes in China

   Sunday was another warm, beautiful day...seventy and sunny! Seems that the weather just doesn't know what it's supposed to do here. One day it's sunny and warm then  2 days later it raining and very cold! I grew up in Michigan where I think this same thing can happen but I just have been away from it for so long that I just want it to stay warm and sunny OR cold and rainy (Southern Cal spoiled me with good weather all the time and Portland just rains half the year...at least I know what to expect!). Luckily it was nice out b/c I had plans to ride my bike across town (first time riding out of my neighborhood) to find the fabric market. I had a few items on my own list (have some tops made) and a few items for my friend Chrissie (she's getting married and wants to find the perfect fabric for bridesmaids dresses and a dress for her mom). Off I went, with a route in mind which, of course, always changes since I am not sure which roads allow bikes and which don't. For the most part I got there smoothly, I only rode a couple blocks too far north before realizing that I needed to turn around. It was the perfect day to go for a bike ride!

This is the ShiLiuPu Material Shopping Market


   Inside was 3 floor jammed with stalls of fabric and eager tailors waiting for business. There was tons of beautiful Silk (mostly Chinese and Thai), Linens, Suiting, cashmere, wool and denim. I was on a hunt for some pretty Cotton Broadcloth but was disappointed that I didn't find any...I suppose it's not the season (Sorry Chrissie!). I have heard of one other fabric market and will check there too.  

This is the first place that I ordered from, stall 155. They had
a great selection of Linens and I found one that I really liked
so I gave them a pair of my pants to knock-off (industry term for "copy").
Here you can see just how many stalls and just how much fabric there was to pick through.
It was a wonderland of fabric, you literally had to squeeze past and step over crammed in fabric.
It was SO much fun. I think I will save my per diem just so I can go have garments made :)

   Check out the 3 bolts of silk on the left, 2 solids and 1 print (there is actually a second print but you just can't see it very well...it's stacked on top of the bolts). Those are being made into tops for me as we speak. Can't wait! The picture on the right is the man that is helping me with my order, it was about a 30 minute process and lots of negotiating of prices. I will have a full report to share on how each item turned out.

   After spending about 2 hours in the fabric market it was time for me to start riding my bike back towards home with a few pit-stops along the way. I got myself back to the Xitiandi area so that I could grocery shop at a Japanese market (they have a big selection and good quality). But on the way I rode past my favorite little boutique Zurner on Madang Lu and saw that their window said "sale!" so I had to stop. Ladies, you know the feeling when you walk into a boutique that is just perfect...merchandise looks good, there are things that you like, staff is friendly and you just want to hang out there...that is Zurner for me. I met one of the owners and her and I talked for about 45 mins (it was a slow evening). I even bought this cute clutch and have a dinner date with my new friend, Yan.

   Then it was off to the Japanese market to buy some tortilla chips, peanut butter and this Japanese hot cereal that I really like. I now have stocked cupboards!



No comments: