Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Slippery when it rains

   Somehow Shanghai has covered most walking surfaces with materials that are incredibly slippery when it rains. Unlike in the states where most of the walking paths are concrete a majority here are covered in tiles. I'm not sure what the thinking is behind the tile use but when it rains I have to plan my footwear accordingly so that I have the best traction possible. Today it rained on my way home which made me think about all of this.
See these white painted lines, they have been painted over dozens of times.
They are now so thick that they also become a slippery material when it rains.
I have almost done back flips b/c of them on rainy days. Every time I cross a street
I need to be cautious so that I don't end up on my back in the middle of traffic.

An example of all the tiles. This is a parking lot
outside my apartment complex.

   It's also starting to stay cold more consistently now, which means that Hot Chocolate drinking season is beginning. The other day I stopped at the Starbucks across the street to get my first one of the season. I don't drink Starbucks hot chocolate back home so I wasn't sure what to expect but figured that they would have a high level of quality control just b/c they are a worldwide brand. The hot chocolate was only mediocre. Then today I decided to stop at the Costa Coffee that is attached to my apartment complex. Costa has better hot chocolate by a long shot. Now at I know where my Choco $$ will be going this season. Also, they are rated by the Shanghai Food and Drug Administration...rate PASS. I wish the grading system in the US has these ratings rather then A, B, C, etc. It's much more exciting to receive a green happy face then an A rating...

No comments: