Saturday, December 10, 2011

Shanghai drivers

  One of the things that I find crazy in this city is that cars and motorcycles drive everywhere...not just on the streets but even on the sidewalks if they can fit. I feel like you always have to be aware of what in front of you but also what is coming up from behind. Cars and motorcycles are not afraid to beep their horns letting you know that you're in the way and that it would be a smart choice for you to move immediately. I'm not sure that it's entirely legal for motor vehicles to be on sidewalks but it certainly doesn't stop the drivers. Check out these 2 shots (I'll be sure to gather more examples during this trip):

Yes, a car on the sidewalk

Can you see the car on the sidewalk?
   It must have been about 2 weeks ago that I was out shopping on the weekend, walking down a 2 lane road (one lane in each directions, a thoroughfare in my neighborhood)  and witnessed a car stop in one of the lanes, park right there and the driver getting out to do some shopping in the stalls on that street. Not caring that she had other cars behind her and a city bus that were all beeping their horns at her b/c they couldn't get around her car. That direction of traffic had to wait for the other direction to clear so that they could drive in the wrong lane to get around her. I see things like this way more often then I should. I don't know what some of these drivers are thinking (or not thinking, that may be more like the case)...you can't just park in the street and block traffic. With more and more people learning to drive in this city, the police are going to have to find a way to stop some of this nonsense. 

No comments: