Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thai Bang La

   The temperature in Shanghai dropped today and is hovering just above freezing. Surprisingly it doesn't feel as cold as it normally does to me. The winter weather here is very humid and can make the cold temperatures feel SO much colder. This was also the first day of sunshine in awhile and since the ground wasn't wet I decided to get out for a good run on the roads. Sadly, I missed the sun by a few hours but it felt good to not run on the track.

   I think that I have mentioned before that running on the roads is not a common thing so people tend to stare when I'm out. Tonight was all about older Chinese women commenting on how little clothing I was wearing (although I had on running tights and a thick wool shirt) and that I must be cold...of course, I didn't really understand what they said in Chinese but through hand motions and pointing I got the point. One of the ladies continued to talk to me even though I made it clear that I didn't understand her...she didn't care. I'm sharing this story b/c I was able to catch and understand a phrase she said to me "thai bang la"...I'm sure that's not the correct spelling of the pinyon but this is how I hear it. I understand this phrase to mean "I feel awesome" and it was in reference to my running outfit. I think she was telling me "I think your running outfit is cool"! I'm kinda proud that I understood what she said :)


"Thai bang la"

Find more Run in Shanghai

No comments: