Friday, October 7, 2011

Guide for things to do

It has been mentioned to me by several people that there are 2 publications that would be good for me to pick up and read monthly to find things to do around Shanghai. I found one yesterday...
That's Shangahi
After reading through part of it, I found a listing for a local farmers market that happens on Saturday mornings about 2 blocks from my house. I checked out the location today so that I could easily find it tomorrow.

 Jiashan Market - An eco living, retail and eatery.

The outdoor space is very beautiful
I found a cute cafe and had some carrot juice and pumpkin soup.
I love that I can get fresh juice just about anywhere in the city, a trend
that I wish Portland would pick up. My favorite so far is Banana Milk.
That's right, just banana and milk mixed together, i like each ingredient
ok separately but together they are AWESOME. Cold or hot...
I suggest you try it.

Iris so kindly pointed out to me around day 3 of my trip that Shanghainese don't shop for produce, seafood or meat from the supermarket normally and that I should find a produce market instead. Well, I did and as I mentioned previously I bought some live shrimp (and veggies/fruit). It's like a crude farmers market, stands of veggies, stands of fruit, grains, seafood and meat. Here are a few pics of what I saw...

Doesn't look like much from the outside, I could
have easily walked past and not realized what it was.

The women that sold me the shrimp, she laughed pretty hard.
Maybe I had a look of "oh my gosh, what do I do with LIVE shrimp".
Not knowing what to do with live shrimp and not finding anything helpful on the internet, I tossed them in the refrigerator hoping they would be ok for a few hours until dinner time. Then it was off to do some exploring.

Sod cityscape, kinda cool

 Jing'an Temple, originally built in AD 247, mostly destroyed in 1851. Rebuilt in the 1930's to then be stripped of
it's Buddhist statues during the Cultural Revolution and turned into a plastics factory. Currently under restoration,
and apparently has been for the past decade, not sure what the delay is. I didn't get to wander through as it was already
closed for the evening when I arrived.



Made it home in time to cook my shrimp! Now i'm making broth
from the shells.

No comments: