Sunday, October 9, 2011

I did it, I ran on the streets of Shanghai





I got up early (6:30am) and headed out to the streets in my neighborhood and ran with all the bikes and motor scooters. Surprisingly, it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. I've learned a lot about china traffic in the past 3 weeks and think that I understand how pedestrians, bikes, scooters and cars work together to make what seems like chaos work. 


Maybe something like this but a basic as possible.
+ front basket and bell of course

 Sorry, Stana but I think that I might buy a bike today. I promise to be safe and will also be buying a helmet at the same time. Yes, i'm totally willing to stand out and wear a helmet, i will be the ONLY biker with a helmet on. I'm a safety freak and proud of it.

4 comments:

MeganG said...

Friend, I am so proud of you! Running amidst all that chaos! I am really enjoying reading all about your adventures...especially the FOOD. I am living vicariously through you. Also wanted to let you know, we found out it's a boy! Flynt Michael. Miss you much!
Megan

cex said...

You should get a classic Chinese bike. I had a Phoenix, Flying Pigeon is more famous.

cex said...

I was the only one wearing a bike helmet in Shanghai in 02-03. I'm surprised it didn't catch on from me!

Krista said...

Chris, I think that your comment about getting a traditional chinese bike is hilarious now. Since I did and it broke right away. Did riding your Phoenix feel really weird when you were riding it, kind of like you were drunk?!