Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I always psych myself out

   I've been excited all day about getting out for a run but by the time I got home I had almost talked myself out of it. I was looking to get  in 5 miles, which can be too much for the track (20 laps, come on...doesn't sound fun) so I was planning to run the streets. Well, I was telling myself that it was still too early so traffic would be bad, it was dark and starting to rain and that maybe the streets wouldn't be a good idea. But I got up to my apartment, put on my running clothes and shoes and just went for it. I shouldn't psych myself out like that, running on the streets here are not really all that bad. Yes, I constantly get honked, beeped or dinged at (honking from cars, beeping from motor bikes and dinging from bicycles) by people going around me(or what seems like aiming for me sometimes) and I get stared at like I'm crazy (b/c not many people get out and run around the city. Actually ppl don't really run here at all) but really it's not so bad. I managed to get turned around again...these criss-crossing diagonal streets are driving me nuts. I started my run the normal way, heading west first with plans to turn north at some point. I headed west, then north and thought that I continued north but at some point looked at a sign and saw that I was heading west again! I have not idea how. The most amazing part of the run is that I actually ended up on some quiet streets, they only lasted a block or 2 at a time but it was heaven!

   Just for Sh*ts and giggles I have tried to map my run and think that I came really close to my true route (missing a 1/4 mile somewhere). I use a website called mapmyrun.com (which I use back in Portland) and for anyone that has used it before knows that once you map a run they ask you to tag it with  key words that they provide...I got to use some key words that I never woudl be able to use back in Portland. Here's my list:

Surface: Sidewalk, Road
Terrain: Rough
Good For: They give options here like, dog/handicap/stroller/kids. Too bad they don't give a option "absolutely none of the above"
Contour: Flat
Difficulty: Hard
Surroundings: Scenic
Area: High Traffic


Sounds like fun, right? :)



**forgot to mention that I probably got stared at extra tonight b/c I wore my reflective vest. Safely is not on anyone's mind here in Shanghai so I really stand out with a reflective vest while running and a helmet while biking!! **

1 comment:

Krista said...

You guys should play around on this map to see all the crazy streets in my neighborhood (that isn't a grid system). Easy to get turned around...