Friday, November 11, 2011

I just figured it out! (title change from: Wandering around my work neighborhood)

   This evening I went on a hunt for the little snack shack that Diana and Tina showed me yesterday. It was actually very easy to find. Only 3 big blocks from work. 

Does snack shack describe this well?


  Something that I don't understand yet is how they weigh food and figure out the charge for it. Seems like it should be simple but if you look at the scale in these next pictures, there are 3 numbers and only 1 gets typed in by the merchant. It's the one on the far left. So if the price is marked as 35rmb/500grams then the merchant types 0.35 on the right side of the scale. Then he places the items on the scale to show its weight (I don't know what unit of measure, although now I think it must be the fraction of the 500grams), in this case 0.36(add unit of measure here). And apparently the far right # must be the price, shown as 0.13. I know that the cost is not 0.13rmb...so what is it?


    So as I was writing this post I figured some of the mystery out. First, it was helpful for me to figure out that 500gms is equivalent to 1.1lbs (sometimes I wish the US would just change to the metric system, traveling abroad would be much easier! I wouldn't feel so clueless). I have seriously been at a loss for the past 2 months when buying produce and many other forms of food sold by weight and all it took was for me to take a picture so that I had some numbers to work with in my head. Now try this on for size:

1. The price that the merchant is entering is obviously a faction of 100rmb b/c the price was 35rmb/500gms and he entered 0.35 as the price
2. The weight must a fraction of the 500gms, 0.36
3. multiply the 2 decimals and you get 0.126, round up to 0.13 shown on the scale. And since the original price was entered at a fraction of 100rmb this price must also be a fraction of 100rmb! AH HA! I know what I'm doing.

Going to the market is going to be SO much easier now!!

The numbers i just worked through was actually someone else's
 purchase, this was mine for 80rmb. Salted pine nuts and the amazing macadamias.

   Now for the rest of my walk through the area. I pass this Jade Buddha Temple almost everyday but still haven't gone in. In the evening it smells so good around the temple b/c of all the incense that is being burned. I think I've avoided coming here to tour b/c it's too close to work and heading that direction on a weekend feels wrong. But I will get there before I leave.



One of thousands of fruit stands open in the evenings around Shanghai.
You can buy fruit any time of the day but for some reason it is practically
impossible to find a vegetable past 6pm!

A very common sight as you walk down the streets around the city.
Tons of small restaurants and shops.

This picture is for my dad b/c he didn't realize that I was living in a high-rise.
I'm on the 18th floor of this building, right side, facing southeast.

I can't believe it's the weekend already again. I need to make some plans.

No comments: